March 19, 1935
Interesting Data on Early History
Article which Elmcreek Beacon recently republished
from an early issue of the Hub about a social gathering
(date unknown) of ladies, early pioneers.
Louisa Collins arrived in 1871
Mrs. Basten arrived Feb. 13, 1873
Mrs. Henry C. Andrews arrived in October 1873
Mrs. Flora Dildine came on September 4, 1874
Mrs. Green came on January 5, 1875
Mrs. Charles Hull came a few months after Mrs. Green
Mrs. Joseph Black came in 1875
Mrs. Bodinson came in 1879
Mrs. Charles Burke came as a bride in 1879
Mrs. Charles O. Swan came in 1882
Mrs. Julian Boyle came in 1883
Some of their memories:
First church social, given my Mrs. Judge Hemiup, purpose was
to organize a Unitarian church society but nothing came of
First dancing party given b Mr. Perkins (of Perkins &
Harford addition in nw Kearney)
First 4th of July celebration in a building at
corner of 24th & B
When Louisa Collins arrived in 1871 there was one house,
16x16, built of sheathing lumber
Collins home “down on the trail about a block west of the
present Platte River bridge.”
Methodist Church organized there.
Asbury performed first wedding there, for Sol Patterson &
Mrs. Norris came in 1872 and lived on homestead three miles
Fear of Indians – gave a hungry papoose a biscuit but its
mother took it and at it.
George E. Smith arrived in 1871, wife arrived in 1872 after
Homesteaded north of town. Thought wells could not be dug
in hills so paid 50˘ a barrel for water from town.
One day large band Indians came, flattened noses against
window pane to see who was home. Came to door and she handed
out dipper after dipper of water until they drank it all.
Platte River bridge opened September 29, 1874. Big
community picnic to celebrate.
Prairie fires would roll down on the town from the north and
west. Brooms, mops & gunny sacks were used to fight the
Texas cowboys – “Sober they were all right, but drunk, they
committed all sorts of excesses and proceeded to shoot up
the town and terrorize the citizens on several occasions.”
Captain & Mrs. Black wanted to get away from the rush and
noise of town so they built a house at what is now 21st
St. and 4th Ave.
In 1879 there were no laid out streets, just trails. One
ran so close to the Burke residence that wagons gradually
tore off the siding from a corner of the house.
Early homes had no cellars, except the Strong’s near St.
Luke’s Episcopal church. At the threat of a storm the whole
neighborhood went to the Strong’s cellar.