1733 Amusement Park
Kearney Amusement Park
(at the cotton mill site)
Glenwood Amusement Park
Located north of Kearney on
the Wood River where the Blue mill pond provided for fishing
and canoeing. It was also a popular picnic site.
Hub March 13, 1913 Kearney
Lake amusement park rights were sold to two Fremont men,
Paul Held and W. E Stubb
Hub April 18, 1914 New Manager for Lake Resort
Amusement Park management went to Earl Bell. He proposed to
install a Parker three abreast jumping horse carry-us-all.
It was to be on the hill to the left of the pavilion. Also a
contract had been let to provide for electric lighting. The
dance pavilion was to be remodeled and a canopy placed over
the dance floor so they could dance even if it was raining.
Mr. Bell was also connected
with Krug Park in Omaha, Brighten Beach in New York and
amusement parks in San Bernardino, CA and had a large
Kearney Amusement Park
Hub May 10, 1919 Amusement
Park to be Operated Here by Denison
L. A. Denison was proposing to put an amusement park at the
site of the cotton mill
July 3, 1919 Opened the night before with a dance which
featured a 7-piece jazz band. A large crowd attended.
July ads alternated between advertising the amusement park
and advertising for the need for carpenters and laborers at
the amusement park.
July 29, 1919 Elks lodge planned to hold a midsummer dance
at the amusement park on Aug. 5 open to the public
Aug. 9, 1919 James Boyd was one of those attending the
Elks dance at the amusement park.
Aug. 2, 1919 Planning Campaign Against Violators Police
will Organize to Beat the Automobile Speeder
Special problem west of Kearney when there was congested
traffic because of events at the Amusement park. Glare of
headlights led to accidents. People were not using their
Sept 17, 1919 close Friday, Sept. 19.
October 1919 Incorporated
October 22, 1919 Denison planned to install small
fireplaces or some sort of heating so he building could be
used year round. Planned to hold weekly dances. There would
be ice skating when it turned cold and the pool froze.
Nov. 22, 1919 Amusement park had kindling wood for sale
Dec. 1, 1919 19th Century Club favored the proposed
tourist camp to be built at the Amusement park
Jan 6,1920 V R Shelley of Omaha to aid in design and
construction of improvements
Construction of the roller coaster was to begin as soon as
March 13, 1920 Proposed improvements described
March 31, 1920 Crew working on Roller coaster and land
leveling for building of 40 tourist camp cabins. When
amusement park opens the crew will move to work on the
May 11, 1920 Amusement park to open May 23. Roller
coaster, concession stands and entrance will be completed.
Will again be a mecca for outers this summer.
March 20, 1922 Blaze at Amusement Park last night